Chief Executive Officer
Cami Gearhart, JD, began her career at Quorum Review as Quorum’s first in-house attorney. In 2006, she was appointed CEO of Quorum Review and has since led Quorum to enjoy steady growth and expand its expertise into federally funded research and international research. In her first year as CEO, Ms. Gearhart helped Quorum Review attain full accreditation from AAHRPP and has continued to lead the organization through successful re-accreditation (Quorum is accredited through 2014). In 2011 Ms. Gearhart accepted the Eagle Award for “Best IRB” on behalf of Quorum Review.
Prior to joining Quorum Review, Ms. Gearhart practiced law in both the public and private sectors. In the private sector, she specialized in health care regulatory law and worked with hospitals, clinics and other institutions. In the public sector, she worked for the Office of the Attorney General in the arena of protecting vulnerable populations, including abused children, abused adults and mentally ill individuals.
Ms. Gearhart’s professional goals as CEO of Quorum Review include raising the level of quality and synergy at the organization, as well as helping the industry recognize the important value that accredited IRBs provide to clinical research.
Since 2006, Ms. Gearhart has served the IRB community through her work as Chairperson and now Treasurer for the Consortium of Instutional Review Boards (CIRB). Over the last 6 years, she has led the membership to establish the CIRB Code of Ethics, as well as provide significant state and national policy recommendations regarding ethics review, IRB accreditation and the clinical research process. Ms. Gearhart also serves as Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Northwest Association for Biomedical Research (NWABR).
Ms. Gearhart regularly speaks at clinical research conferences and seminars, sharing her professional insights and expertise on important IRB topics. In April 2012, Ms. Gearhart represented CIRB at a public hearing hosted by the FDA on the topic of “Modernizing the Regulation of Clinical Trials and Approaches to Good Clinical Practice.” To see the presentation, visit this link on the FDA’s archive (CIRB begins at 0:28:00).
- CWWeekly interview with Cami Gearhart for the April 16, 2012 edition featuring Quorum Review for their “Insider Insights.” Read the article.
- “How to Review an IRB Application” – OHRP Research Community Forum – February 2010
- “The Role of the IRB in Assessing Adverse Events” – Drug Information Annual Meeting – June 2008
- “How is Your IRB Doing? Surveying IRB Members and the Research Community” – Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs Annual Conference - February 2008
- “Phase I Trials: An IRB’s Perspective” – Establishing Proof of Concept in Phase 1 Trials: The 8th Annual Conference – October 2007
- “Adverse Event Reports, IND Safety Reports, and ‘Dear Investigator’ Letters: An IRB-Industry Dialogue” – PRIM&R/ARENA Annual HRPP Conference – November 2006
- “Collaboration Agreements Between Local and Central IRBs: Benefits; Pitfalls and Perils; and Policy Considerations” – PRIM&R/ARENA Annual HRPP Conference – November 2006
- “What Does it Mean to Apply for and Maintain Accreditation?” – Northwest Association of Biomedical Research Human Subjects Research Regional Conference – October 2006)
Cami Gearhart accepted the Eagle Award in 2011 for “Best IRB to work with” on behalf of Quorum Review. Watch the video clip.